Hello, Hello and Happy Friday!
I am getting married 9 MONTHS from today! In honor of that, I am sharing a D.I.Y Tutorial for the painted mugs I asked my bridesmaids to be in my wedding with and one that I made this week for myself! These mugs are so easy to do, and fairly inexpensive! They're a fun activity you can do own your own or with friends or even kids!
- White Mug (I get mine for $4 at Target)
- Sharpie Paint Marker(s) - Oil Based - Fine Point (Almost any craft store, about $3/each)
How It's Done:
- Wash your mug and take the sticker off the bottom. Let dry completely.
- Prepare your marker according to the directions on it, test it out on something else before starting your mug.
- Once your mug is dry, use the markers to make whatever design you want on it. For mine, I decided to write "Mrs." on one side, and "Est. 6•11•16" on the other.
- Once you have your mug designed, it's time to bake it. Make sure you put it in a COLD oven so that it can heat up with the oven.
- Set your oven to 400 degrees, and set a timer for 40 minutes.
- After your 40 minute timer has timed out, turn the oven off and leave your mug in to cool down with the oven. I will be honest, this takes FOREVER. I usually leave it in the oven for an hour to an hour and a half, then take it out with a pot holder and rinse with cool/room temperature water. It is important to NOT rinse with COLD water, the mug will still be hot and it could crack.
- Gently wash your mug with mild dish soap and warm water. Let it dry, and it's ready for use.
- IMPORTANT: Do NOT put your mug in the dishwasher. It needs to be washed by hand or the design will come off.
Here is the finished product of mine:
That's it! Isn't that easy? I can't wait to make more of these mugs, including one that says "Mr." for my groom, even though he isn't much of a coffee drinker. He likes tea though. Ha.
Anyway, I hope that you have enjoyed this tutorial and I hope that you will try making one or more of these mugs! What do you think? Let me know in the comment box below!